Are you passionate about working with youth? Interested in supporting youth to take action in their communities? Want a variety of responsibilities and a busy but supportive work environment?
HeartWood Centre for Community Youth Development is seeking a Program Facilitator to design, facilitate and implement programs and workshops for youth and adults.
HeartWood Centre for Community Youth Development is a not-profit registered charity whose mission “is youth engagement for positive community change. We work with youth to develop their skills and confidence as community leaders. We also train and coach adults to meaningfully engage youth.”
We offer various types of leadership programs for all youth as well as provide capacity building, professional development and research on community youth development to others who work with youth. These clients include other non-profit organizations, youth-serving agencies, schools, universities, health authorities, and multiple government departments.
HeartWood is a values-based organization that uses a strength-based approach, appreciative inquiry, experiential learning, and relationship building. We have a small but very effective team- oriented staff.
Responsibilities: The Program Facilitator will have various responsibilities including:
- Designing and facilitating programs for a diversity of youth with a focus on supporting youth to take action in their own communities.
- Coaching adult clients in the principles and practices of Community Youth Development as well as design and facilitate these programs.
- Responding to in-coming requests to HeartWood for various workshops and professional development training for youth and/or adults. This includes talking with potential clients to determine their needs, writing proposals, designing and facilitating programs, and following up with clients.
Finally, the successful candidate will work with other staff to build and maintain relationships, find new partnerships, share expertise, ensure high program quality, and support HeartWood in meeting its mission.
Skills and Knowledge Required:
- Experience working with youth, especially youth in challenging situations
- Strong group facilitation skills with youth as well as adults
- Ability to support individual youth in their skill-building and community action
- Knowledge of HeartWood’s Community Youth Development Framework
- Experience with adult and experiential education methodologies
- Experience designing youth programs as well as programs for adults
- Previous experience with HeartWood Experience with gender-based programming Experience and comfort in the outdoors Fluency in French Wilderness and Remote First Aid and/or any Canoe Levels
- Experience using strength-based/asset-based community development practices – Excellent supervision skills – Strong communication skills including proposal writing experience – First Aid required
- Ability to work in a team, take initiative and as well as provide and receive constructive feedback
This position involves travel across the province. A driver’s license is required and access to a reliable vehicle is an asset. A Child Abuse Registry Check and a Police Records Check are also required.
This position is full-time (although a reduced workweek of four days a week may be considered). Starting salary is $34,000 – 36,000 full-time.
Start date: Immediate.
If you meet the above criteria, please send a cover letter and a resume by midnight, February 13th to: Maria Cain, Executive Director, HeartWood Centre for Community Youth Development via Email: maria(at)heartwood(dot)ns(dot)ca
Mail: 5516 Spring Garden Road, Suite 202, Halifax, NS B3K 1B6 Fax: (902) 444-3140
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview.